Saturday, November 5, 2022

ISO

ISO stands for "International Organization for Standardization"

This term generally gets shorted to ISO which applies the sensitivity of the cameras sensor to light. On most professional cameras ISO can be low as 50 with an upper expanded limit of 204,800. The camera I have the Sony Alpha 7 IV has an ISO range of 100-51,200, with an expanded range of ISO 50-204,800. On most newer model phones the smaller camera sensor has a ISO range of 50-3200 which is more than enough.

Referring to my previous post the exposure triangle is very relevant in exposing an image. Light is measured in stops A stop of light is not a fundamental unit, but a method of measuring the increase or decrease of light in a photographic exposure

When you increase the ISO value by one step (e.g. 100 to 200, or 800 to 1600) you make the camera’s sensor twice as sensitive to light. To keep the exposure balanced the camera needs to halve the amount of light reaching the sensor. It does this by increasing the shutter speed by one stop (e.g. increasing from 1/400 to 1/800), or decreasing the aperture size by one f-stop (e.g. changing from f/8 to f/11).

Once you begin to increase the ISO past "3200" on most professional cameras you introduce noise to an image. Now this noise is not referring to sound so your photo will not have a music track playing but it will display grainy spots to the image. Some photographers like this grainy noise on their images and keep it visible while others use Adobe Lightroom to remove it. Don't be afraid of pumping the ISO for those low light shots because the shutter speed and aperture will adjust to compensate.

12 comments:

  1. I am familiar with ISO but not when regarding photography terms. Learned something new today, thank you Kevin :-)

    Some photographers prefer to have very low amounts of grain? Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Low amounts of grain on their images. Known artists have their own style and a noisy image is one of the many attributes one can play with.

      Delete
  2. Thanks to Kevin for another informative and instructional blog post. Every time I read, I learn a lot of new knowledge—especially photography. I don't know anything about it. But your blog gives me new insights into photography every time. Congratulations also on passing the MOS-400.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your knowledge of photography. I especially appreciate that you add pictures to show what you are talking about. Can't wait to see what you post next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post was very informative. I enjoy learning more about photography through your posts. I used to think that all you had to do was change the setting and take a picture, but I was wrong. Can't wait to read your next posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely hate any noise in my pictures. ISO is a very big part of having a great sharp picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always wondered what the ISO was for. I will be playing around with my little camera to see the differences in my photos while adjusting the ISO. Thank you for another great informative post..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I personally love the grain effect. There are times where I prefer grainy noise more than crystal clear shots, but it all depends on the intended visual.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Until your guidance on the cameras. I knew nothing about shutter speed, ISO, Aperture etc... I really have a new outlook on taking pictures and understanding what you can do. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's always great learning something new about photography from your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel like I am learning something whenever I read these ^_ ^.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you. This is very education. I am in search of a camera as we speak and I found a Rebel T7 brand new from Walmart for $350 but I still haven't pulled the trigger on it.

    ReplyDelete