Friday, October 7, 2022

4.13.1 Macros

Macros are a computer rule or pattern that the user "records" short sequences of keystrokes and mouse actions to transform a normally boring repetitive task into a one button solution. Remapping a button on a keyboard is also considered a macro for example a keyboard that has had liquid spilled on it so a few keys no longer work. Using a macro a user can also remap a key to another key.

Computer users who have to do repetitive tasks such as data entry, resizing images, or spamming the same skill in a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) have come to use the macro function to make their task easier. When I was playing the MMORPG Ragnarok Online in 2004 a tool named AutoHotKey was given to me by a guildmate to help spam damaging spells at blistering speeds as some spells stack on top of each other. This simple tool can also be configured to use a healing potion if your health points (HP) dropped below a certain hex color value. Which gives an unfair advantage against the unaware.

Currently due to the game breaking nature of automated hotkeys many online games have banned the use of third party software in their terms of service (TOS).

16 comments:

  1. Macros are definitely helpful in automating repetitive tasks :-)

    Good to see you using macros long before Chapter 4 Microsoft Word ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn’t know about this unique feature until recently. This would have saved me a lot of time with repetitive tasks that I had to do in my previous classes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Macros are nice to work with. I like that you can save so much time with them. The biggest problem I come across is the security features.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't really had no use for macros in terms of the tech world. From this blog post, it seems that it is mostly used for video games. Unless I find a use for macros, I am still learning how to use this tool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting to learn about the usage of macro functions in MMORPGs! It's a good thing third party software is banned and that the technology is advanced well to prevent cheating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't realize that online video games utilized macros in this way. I think it's great that gamers are learning through play on how to use macros.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Macros are useful to use for repetitive tasks. They save a lot of time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Excel macro is a record and playback tool that records your Excel steps, and the macro plays back as many times as you need. VBA macros save time by automating repetitive tasks. It's a programming code that runs in an Excel environment, but you don't need to be an encoder to write macros.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unfortunately I don't play games on the computer. I did not know any of this. I will definitely keep it in mind. Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the only time I used hotkeys like this was in Maplestory where they let you preset three skills into your home key button.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to do more re-search on Macros. I was lost reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added some more fluff on the Macro use outside of video games.

      Delete
  12. Didn't really know about this until I got into this class not much of a computer guy. I am still learning how to use everything. A little slow but still learning it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I have never heard of macros before! Thank you for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post's information that you supplied was quite useful. Even though you indicated that I could substitute some keys on the keyboard with others, I still went online to learn more about Macros since I felt that was a great idea, especially if one stops functioning properly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I definitely need to better familiarize myself with this subject; nonetheless, very well explained.

    ReplyDelete