Saturday, October 15, 2022

Speed

 Speed is defined as. The rate of change of position of an object in any direction.

Shutter speed is defined as the speed the mechanical shutter on a digital single reflex lens / mirrorless camera as it closes this can be from 30 seconds to 1/8000th of a second. This speed needs to be adjusted depending on what object you are intending to capture in your photo.
In this shot I focused on the busker and set the shutter speed to a full fraction (1/8,1/6,1/4,/1/3) of a second. Notice how he is mostly in focus, the background is clear, and the people in the background are blurry.
When slowing the shutter speed to 10 second exposure while focused on water it becomes misty almost foggy
Here using a shutter speed of 1/40 I captured the Metro cruiser running code 3 (lights+sirens) on Las Vegas Blvd. Notice they are in focus but the background is blurry because I was panning the camera during this shot.

Here is another long exposure over 5 seconds

A 30 second exposure from east of Hollywood on the east side of Las Vegas. That light trail is not a meteor but a helicopter. This gives me an idea for long exposure shots with flying objects.

13 comments:

  1. Thank you for the education on shutter speed, Kevin ^_^

    Nice photos too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy looking at all your pictures. The last picture looks amazing. You definitely have a talent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy looking at photos like your last one with the long exposure over 5 seconds. I always wondered how photographers capture motion like that. Well, now I know. Thanks for educating me Kevin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great informative topic Kevin. That is one more thing I can use to my benefit when I take the class. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your knowledge of photography again; I have learned a more profound understanding from it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you see that, was that Flash Gordon? This topic went by so fast, I didn't recognize what Kevin is talking about. Otherwise thank you for the shutter speed lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for educating us on camera speed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pictures and a better understanding of how the speeds vary for the shots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always wondered how photographers manage to capture photos with a certain speed! I'm not really big on cameras but I have a deep appreciation for those who love taking pictures because there is so much focus and patience that goes into the process.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The first one wouldn't load for me. Keven the 4th one was the answer I was looking for all those posts ago. I LOVE Photos like this. ^_ ^ so its all just playing with the speed? That is how you capture that effect? did I get that right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cameras are so much fun. I had a hard time figuring out how to get a good panned picture.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome. Thanks for educating us on camera speed I never knew what those things are used for. Now i might be on the market for a beginner DSLR camera.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You surely know a lot about camera shutter speeds. I always know when I visit your blog that there will be amazing photos. I genuinely appreciate how much you know about cameras and share it with us.

    ReplyDelete